SC - New Year's Foods

Linda Taylor lmt_inpnw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 12:41:49 PST 1999

Question for the List:

Does anyone know how (and what time of year) New Year's was celebrated
foodwise in period? I was getting together our "traditional" collection of
foods eaten for luck on New Year's Day, and it seemed likely that something
similar would have been going on in medieval kitchens.

Our lucky foods include pork & sauerkraut from my husband's Pennsylvania
upbringing, and blackeyed peas/Hoppin'John and collard greens from various
Dixie connections. I have also heard of lentils, carrot "coins", whole fat
fishes, and other symbols of abundance (quantity, or richness), wholeness,
and money (carrot "coins" are probably a bit older than collard
"greenbacks"!)

I also recall that the New Year used to be considered to start in May. When
did we switch to January? Was January 1 a special day, or was it part of the
general Christmas season? Inquiring minds want to know...

Morwyn of Wye, O.L.
Barony of Three Mountains, An Tir
(Portland, OR, USA)
mka Linda Taylor, lmt_inpnw at hotmail.com