SC - Grits 'n all that stuff

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Feb 1 07:22:43 PST 1999

Master Adamantius opined:

Have you ever heard the dictum, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" ?

I can't decide which is more strange -- expecting to find grits on any
kind of routine basis in a Connecticut restaurant (yellow corn meal
products being the norm in the North) or assuming they will be, or even
should be, served as they are below the Mason-Dixon line.

I'm reminded of various accounts by Victorian English travellers who
came back from places like India, complaining that there was nothing but
"foreign" food the entire trip, and giving the lack of proper
bubble-and-squeak (or whatever) as further evidence of these foreigners'
lack of civilization... .

Adamantius
Østgardr, East

Very well said m'lord!  I often relate in these situations my
consternation of my fellow sailors who join the Navy to "see the world,"
then as soon as the brow goes down in a foreign port head for Mc
Donald's, refusing to experience the local cuisine.  Of course, these
are the ones who then typically head to the nearest watering hole and
"see the world" from the bottom of a Budweiser can.  Why on earth one
expect to find superb renditions of regional dishes in a different
region I just don't know.  I also can't fathom why one would go to New
England for grits.  IMHO, any attempt to homogenize society, culinary or
otherwise, is a surefire path to mediocrity.  Personally, I revel in
geographical, cultural and culinary differences I encounter when I
travel, and have gained much joy in life exploring these differences,
not lamenting them.  I apologize for the rant dear gentles, but to me
this is the equivalent of expecting to find a good steak and kidney pie
(I couldn't resist ;-) in Guam...remotely possible, but highly unlikely.

huffing and puffing, Puck