SC - OOP Cardboard Box Ovens

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 08:05:53 PST 1999

Here is just a thought I'd like share:

W. E. Mead in "The English Medieval Feast" talks about the overuse of
spces being due to their lack of potency. He claims that after traveling
via merchant's routes into Europe, the aging process and improper
storage conditions would decrease the flavor and strength of spices.
What would seem like a huge quantity for us to use would actually be
needed to acquire the right taste and flavor.

I, however, don't agree with what a lot of what Mead has to say. He was
one of those early 20th century writers who believed that Medieval food
must have tasted just awful, and his writings are based on that
assumption. I just wanted to share another idea (right or wrong ) with
you.

I haven't been following this thread TOO closely - if this was brought
up earlier, my apologies!

Huen
- --
A Boke of Gode Cookery