OOP -Iced Sweet Tea was Re: SC - Grits

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 15:43:01 PST 1999

Go ahead bridge keeper; I'm not affraid:

Perhaps this is simlar to what we know as a tandour? from Indian
quisine?  A tandour is not exactly provided with a fat drip system,
but it is what immediately came to mind when I saw the word.  maybe a
distant relative.

The author uses the word "enclose" specifically, which would lead me
away from a simple roasting rack, but the idea of a roasting pan and
rack would seem appropriate to get the moist heat  tenderizing effect
of enclosure as well as dripping ability.

niccolo difrancesco

The translated recipe in The Andalusian Cookbook, 'Another Kind of
Flank', pg,
A-5, vol. II of Cariadoc's 'Collection  of.......', describes what is
obviously a stuffed lamb's breast not a flank. (The translator
acknowledges
this in the footnote).

In the same recipe this line occurs:

'...enclose it in a tannur; place under it an earthen pot in which
what melts
from the flank can drip...'.

Am I correct in assuming that this word 'tannur', which was left
untranslated
and unfootnoted, was some kind of a grate or vessel with holes in the
bottom
through which the grease could drip? Would a redaction calling for the
stuffed
breast to be put in a roasting pan on a raised grate be somewhat
accurate?

Ras