SC - Peanuts-possibly OOP

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 19:59:22 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> The reality of the thing is that we know very little about the dining customs
> of the peasant class and even less about what form their food took with
> regards to cooking it. The knowledge we have of medieval eating habits is
> based entirely on records left us by the wealthy and it is in fact their
> eating habits which we discuss in detail.

Well, one thing we're pretty sure of is that the poorer classes often
didn't eat bread at all because they tended not to have easy or free
access to mills or ovens, and porridge uses much less fuel. I suppose
gen-yoo-ine paisanos, living in the country, might build various sorts
of evens and grind a coarse meal for flatbreads and such, but I'm not
sure I buy the idea that there was all that much unrecorded bread eating
by the less-than-well-to-do, let alone with gravy on top.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com