SC - trencher history guesses

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 1 21:14:14 PST 1999

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 2/1/99 9:02:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, Seton1355 at aol.com
> writes:
> << But isn't it true My Lord that in "the olden days" it was either feast or
>  famine?'   >>
> After more thinking, I totally disagree with this statement.
> Ras

	I must say I agree with Ras. If of the upper classes, it is the
steward's job to see that things are properly managed so the feast/famine
thing doesn't happen. It is a mark of good housewifery and thrift for the
lesser folk to manage well their resourses. When times are good, we put
away against the leaner times. Goodman of Paris would concurr, I'm sure.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731