SC - trencher history guesses

Tue Feb 2 07:17:25 PST 1999

"Kappler, MMC Richard A." wrote:

> Master Adamantius wrote:
>
> One account includes the claim that Chinese explorers discovered an
> extremely large land mass across the Western Ocean, after having passed
> some smaller islands...
>
> Milord, I must presume that your fingers typed what your brain intended,
> and therefore point out that the 'Western Ocean' to the Chinese would be
> what we now call the Indian Ocean.  This fits well with your descritpion
> as there are thousands of islands between the Pacific and the East Coast
> of the African continent, so not knowing your sources, may I presume to
> say that you would indeed be talking about Africa, not North America?

Yes, the Chinese discovered Madagascar. No, it was my error. The account
seems to refer to somewhere in the Americas, bearing in mind that Africa
wouldn't need much discovering (although it's possible its existence was
concealed at times, just as there are still, or were in recent memory,
children taught that dinosaurs are a myth concocted by Wicked Scientists
in New York City™ ).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy