SC - Another use for ground cinnamon

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Feb 2 09:46:16 PST 1999

> The way in which it was eaten also has something to do with this.  Watch
> people at events.  A 1 lb. loaf of French bread feeds eight or ten, when
> it's
> sliced into modern-size slices.  That same loaf will feed three or four
> when
> it's grabbed by hunkfuls & ripped open to stuff it with whatever filling
> is
> available, or dipped into stew.  Portion control is a modern thing.

	I think calorie burning has alot to do with it to - I spent 3 days
at a Tudor castle, last summer ( you can see the pictures at
www.tirlan.com/gallery/bolton.html) - it's partially ruined, and is missing
doors and windows and such in many place - end result it was cold.

	The weather was pretty grim grey and damp a lot of the time,
although it eventually cleared up  - despite the fact that this was in the
middle of summer  - and so all the fires were kept burning. The 'ladies'
who had sat next to the fires talking and embroidering, had modern &  quite
delicate appetites, the poor sods who had stood guard duty in the rain  were
hungry, and the madmen (and children) who had been running up and down three
flights of stairs and across wet slippery courtyards  carrying wood were
ravenous .

	It usually takes a good week or two for your appetite to really kick
in to tune with your metabolism, so I believe that the continual combination
of hard work &  minimum heating was probably enough to justify the huge
amounts of food. The same goes for the liquids - with the constant flow of
tankards from the kitchen we went through a lot of beer that weekend. If you
think about it, you are recommended to drink 8 - 10 pints (UK) of water per
day - if your pint of water was a pint of beer instead because no-one drank
the water - you are getting  a little nearer to the amounts stated, then you
cook with it, then you are hot & sweaty coz of heavy exercise....... Having
watched my father drink nothing but beer and the rare cup of coffee through
15 years in tropical Africa and Asia I have no problems understanding how
you can drink a gallon of beer a day - you become immune and it just passes
through the system.........

	karin.