SC - Embalming with New World Plants

mermayde at juno.com mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 2 09:34:14 PST 1999

> Secondly, navigation at the time just does not
>support this type of voyage.   <snip>
the idea that
>a few learned Egyptian architects jumped in a raft and vacationed in
>South/Central America seems highly unlikely to me.
>
>Skipper, Naviguesser and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of the 'Happy
>Wanderer', Puck

And yet, examinations of mummies from Egypt have shown not only cocaine,
but tobacco present in the tissues, evidently used in the embalming
fluids.
A casual (or fluke)explorer might be easily explained, but in order for
New World plants to have made it into embalming practices of the Pharohs,
wouldn't that have to show a least a small amount of regular trade?  Ok,
perhaps it was a one-time gift, and there was a lot of it, and the
embalmers were experimenting, .....
Curiouser and curiouser,
Christianna