SC - Another Andalus question- easier

L. Herr-Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Feb 2 05:04:59 PST 1999

it wasn't so much feast/famine for the upper class as it was meat or
lenten
days.  remember the church did control what people could eat and when.
there were a large number of lenten days where meat could not be eaten
(but
i do believe fish could be consumed so it wasn't totally vegetarian).

Not only that, but I recall reading something some time back that back
then, unborn animals (since they lived in amniotic fluid aka water) were
also considered fish.  So it was that the brothers of this abbey felt no
remorse in eating veal and ox on these lenten days (albeit unborn veal
and unborn ox).  Ahhhh, I tell you, there are ways around all rules if
you look hard enough....

Regards, Ingus