SC - Buckwheat Groats

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 2 16:35:07 PST 1999

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> I'm trying to follow HG Cariadoc's redaction of the Domostroi recipe for
> cabbage and greens on page 9 of the Miscellany.  Not being familiar with
> buckwheat groats or kasha, I tried wheat bran.  The recipe says to add the
> grain and then cook until the liquid is almost gone.  The liquid didn't go
> anywhere.  It wasn't absorbed.  I don't see how whole grain will absorb it
> better than the bran, but I want to try it.

Well, bran is a far cry from the whole grain. The bran is just an outer
covering, the groat or grain is that starch-filled nugget in the middle.
When you cook a grain- visualise dry grains of rice- the starch in the
grain catches and absorbs the water, making the grain swell and 'plump
up'. The bran just doesn't have enough starch in it to grab that water.
(Oh god I feel like Bill Nye the Science Guy. We've had kids home with the
flu for too many days now...)

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731