SC - Conspicuous consumption

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 16:58:31 PST 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> Not being familiar with
> buckwheat groats or kasha, I tried wheat bran.  The recipe says to add the
> grain and then cook until the liquid is almost gone.  The liquid didn't go
> anywhere.  It wasn't absorbed.  I don't see how whole grain will absorb it
> better than the bran, but I want to try it.

By all means! Bran and whole grain are entirely different. Bran is
pretty much nothing but cellulose fibers, while whole grain has a lot of
starch in it, which will absorb roughly twice its volume in water... .

Kasha, bulgur, rice, and a variety of other grains will all work well,
provided you have the right balance of liquid to grain, which will
differ according to the grain.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy