SC - trencher history guesses

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Feb 2 22:56:15 PST 1999

Hello!

Allison, you asked about my use of sugar in the payn ragoun.  I
didn't use honey, because I wanted to get one aspect of the recipe
right at a time, and was reasonably confident of the results with
that.  I didn't add the extra water to replace that from the honey,
because my bizarre logic said that I'd have to boil that away too in
order to arrive at the same stage.

By the way, everyone talks about divinity and taffy.  What are they?
Can you describe them in tactile terms?  Is taffy the same as
Australian toffee, ie.  hard and glassy when you get it right, and
softish and sticky when I make it?

Another lexical problem I hit which might amuse is that of brawn.
Having come across Plat's recipe for fried brawn, I thought, great.
I make brawn all the time.  On trying it, there was no way it would
work - all soupy and nasty.  As an Australian of English (and other
British) descent, I think of brawn as lots of little bits of meat
held together by their own jelly - what I understand Americans call
head cheese (is that right?).  No wonder it didn't work.  I have just
discovered that what Plat thought of as brawn is actually a solid
lump of meat, and can now proceed as originally intended with the
recipe.

Cairistiona