SC - SC: - Galingale question

Tipperith tipperith at excite.com
Wed Feb 3 05:58:10 PST 1999

Tina Carney wrote:

> Does anyone want to explain the correct way to prepare Beef Kidney?  I
> blanched the kidney three times and it still had a "strong" taste.

Coming from a mature animal (yeah, beef is slaughtered at a younger age
than it used to be, for various reasons, but let's not split haires)
beef kidney is always going to have a somewhat strong taste compared to,
say, veal or lamb kidneys. It helps to make sure they're absolutely
fresh before buying, marinate them overnight in milk before cooking, be
careful not to overcook them, and you _might_ consider a sauce with red
wine or a splash of vinegar in it, to help balance the strong flavor.

I like veal kidneys myself, snipped into chunks with scissors (look at
one and you'll see what I mean), flash-sauteed until medium-rare, sauced
with pan juices deglazed with balsamic vinegar and a pat of butter
swirled in, with fresh chopped rosemary and black pepper. (And even
though I didn't mention it, add some salt!)

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com