FW: The coffee roasting pan (wasRe: SC - Royal declared chocolate period)

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 17:55:27 PST 1999

There is a traditional Venetian dish called 'risi e bisi' (rice and peas).  It
was the official dish served to the Doge on the 25th of April (feast of St.
Mark, patron saint of Venice).  There was a big too-doo over who could bring
the best peas for the Doge.

The recipe as I've found it (with the above historical references) in Venice &
Food by Sally Spector.

4 servings

2T olive oil
5T butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2lb fresh (or 8oz frozen) peas
pinch of sugar
1 1/2 qt broth*
10 oz rice "fino" or "super-fino"
salt and pepper
2-3T minced fresh parsley
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1) Shell the peas.  *Rinse the pods and put them in 2qt. salted water OR put
in a bouillon cube and no salt.  Boil very slowly for one hour.

2) Strain broth, pressing liquid out of the pods and discard them.  If using
bouillon for the liquid, prepare 1 1/2 qt of it

3) Put onion, oil and 2 1/2T butter in a pot.  Cook gently until golden.

4) Add the peas with a pinch of sugar, and a bit of broth.  Cook gently,
stirring occasionally, until they soften (add frozen peas straight from the
freezer, do not defrost)

5) When the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is "dry", add the rice.
raise the heat and mix quickly.

6) Pour in a ladle of hot broth.  Should be boiling.  Stir constantly, adding
a ladle of broth when the liquid has reduced, but keeping the rice from
sticking. (no mean trick, that!) After about 18 minutes, the rice should be
done: if it's still too crunchy, cook another minute or two.

7) Turn off heat.  Taste for salt and pepper.  Add a ladle of broth, the
remaining butter and the parsley, but do not mix them in.  Cover pot and let
sit on the burner 2-3 minutes, then gently stir together.

8) serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese

The author goes on to point out that tiny fresh peas are best.  She also
states that according to Venetian legend, there was to be one pea for each
grain of rice for the Doge's bowl.

Imagine how green and fresh and spring-like this would be!  I am hoping to
include this in my menu for the banquet for Summergate's Anniversary.

Lady Giuglia Madelena Sarducci