SC - OOP Mexican Corn Bread recipe

Helen him at gte.net
Fri Feb 5 14:27:55 PST 1999

Helen wrote:

> Ice corn bread??????

My mom always heats the black iron skillet to almost smoking, adds oil to coat it
and then pours the cold mix in a really hot skilliet.  I just use package mixes.
Sorry, got this off the web for you...  It looks right to me.  Maybe your oven is
set to low or baked to long.

Corn Bread

Ingredients
1 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
 1 1/2 buttermilk
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
   2 T. melted lard
1 t. baking soda
1 beaten egg
1/2 t. salt

Preparation

  1.Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2.In mixing bowl combine cornmeal, flour,baking soda and salt.
  3.Stir in buttermilk, melted lard and egg.
  4.Pour batter into 9x9x2 inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 6-8 servings.