SC - Corn Bread-REC-OOP

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 17:04:23 PST 1999

A friend of mine asks for your able assistance. Since he is not on the
list please respond directly to him.  I will be reading along too just in
case. Thank you for your assistance.
Genevia

From: Dan Gillespie <dan.gillespie at erols.com>
To: geneviamoas at juno.com
Subject: a favor to ask
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:53:16 -0500

Hi Genevia/ Ginger:
     I was hoping that you could post a question for me on the Cook's
List.  It is a lot of fun to read, but I just don't have the time
anymore.
    "Anyway, I am wondering if anyone knows of any references to
Arugula, aka Rocket in period recipes.  There is a word in the 1607
"Arte de Cozina" manuscript that I am trying to track down.  The Spansih
word is "eruga" which means "caterpillar".......in the original context,
this "eruga" is ground to make a bitter-sweet sauce.  Gulp.  One friend
suggested that it might be "aruga", which is "feverfew".  I am thinking
that it might be "aruga", which can mean either "caterpillar" or
"arugula".  Of the three, I think that bitter-sweet sauce made with
arugula might be the most palatable & the safest.  Any thoughts or
references to period cookbooks would be most welcome.
                    With thanks,    Antoine de Bayonne, mka Dan
Gillespie"