SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1240

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Mon Feb 8 10:08:06 PST 1999

Bear said:
> Mills in England were technically owned by the lord of a manor and the fees
> accrued to the lord, except, there is a study that show there were almost
> double the number of independent mills as there were manor mills.  These
> mills were actually operating outside of the law, but apparently there was
> so much milling business no one complained.  Almost everyplace in England
> had the services of a mill.

Not quite true. There were complaints and riots over this. I seem to remember
an abbey? castle courtyard? which is covered in peasant's hand mills or querns.
It seems the lord of the location (and the mill owner) finally got tired of
the
illegal competition from the hand querns and went around by force, gathered
up the querns, and paved this area with them. I seem to remember a riot or
other violence being caused by this, but don't remember the details. I also
don't remember if the querns were broken up before being used as paving stones,
although I imagine they were.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: