SC - Finger foods

Margo Farnsworth margokeiko at esslink.com
Mon Feb 8 05:34:47 PST 1999

>I wonder if another reason for this quantity differance might also be
>in how we view bread. We think of a pound of bread being a lot, as
>what, a whole loaf? Until some of the specialty breads became popular,
>I think the modern ideal of bread was a light loaf. It is possible
>that the medieval ideal was the opposite.

I've been wondering that myself.  I'm curious as to what their flours were
like and what grains were used most often.  I have been experimenting with
different types (whole wheat, rye, barley, oat, rice, buckwheat, soy), and
have achieved a wide range of textures, flavors and densities.  What would
there wheat flour have been like, would peasants be using something like our
whole wheat?  How finely ground were their flours?  I assume they used some
kind of starter for yeast, would their bread have had a more sourdough
flavor?

Faoiltighearna
Torvald's Hird
Canton of Ravenhill, BBM, East