SC - RE Mystery spice

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 02:25:34 PST 1999

Angostura Bitters are so called because they are made from Angostura bark
(Cusparia spp.). That is called Angostura bark because it was originally
shipped by Capuchin Friars in Venezuela from the town of Angostura (now
called Cuidad Bolivar). "Bitters" were originally a medicinal preparations,
especially as appetite stimulants; the use in mixed drinks is an offshoot.

Francesco