SC - period bread comments

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Feb 10 10:17:10 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/9/1999 9:50:32 PM Mountain Standard Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<< Colors in ancient manuscripts are often faded and not true to type. >>

We've been discussing this on the scribes listlately and the consensus is that
its not really a matter of fading, but of dramatic chemical changes.
(Verdigris green eating through vellum, white lead going entirely black dues
to exposure to polluted air).

Then Laine responded:
<<Colors with proteins (tempra, etc) in the are more likely to change than
others. I suppose it would be easiest if we could see the rest of the document
and compare other fruits and vegetables depicted there.>>

What would be more useful actually is to know what pigents they used and how
they were prepared to accurately assess how they might turn. and what
direction they might go.  It would also make a big difference on how much the
paint was exposed to light, and the other environmental factors that came into
play.

Another factor is how well the color came over in the reproduction.  Very few
reproductions of  period manuscripts and book illustrations show the real
colors involved.

Noemi