SC - bye for awhile

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Feb 11 23:01:43 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:
>
> << Oh great, now I'm going to have to type in her recipe aren't I? >>
>
> Yep.
>
> Ras

Although we have cooked many of the recipes in Barbara Tropp's China Moon
cookbook (ISBN0-08940-754-4), we haven't actually made this. She has a number
of broth and sauce recipes at the back of the book that she uses in her
recipes.  She usually provides an off the shelf alternative so to avoid typing
in 4 more sub-recipes, I'll just list the alternative ingredient.

	Bunny Stew
	(serves 4 to 5 as main course, 6 to 8 as part of a multi course meal)

1 whole fresh rabbit, 2 to 2.5 lbs. cut into serving pieces

Marinade:
2 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine (or plum wine or dry sherry)
3 Tablespoons Hoisin sauce
1 teasppn soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Japanese sesame oil
1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
1.5 Tablesppons finely minced garlic
3 Tablespoons thinly sliced green and white scallion rings
1 Tablespoon finely minched fresh ginger

Aromatics:
1.5 Tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
1.5 Tablespoons finely minced garlic
3 Tablespoons thinly sliced green and white scallion rings
 (no, repeating these three items was not a typo)

Sauce:
1 cup unsalted chicken stock
2 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine (or plum wine or dry sherry)
1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

4 to 5 Tablespoons oil for searing and stir frying

1 small carrot, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 ribs clery, diced
1 small stalk fresh lemon grass, smashed
Diagonally cut green and white scallion rings, for garnish

1. If you ar cutting up the rabbit yourself, use a large, heavy, sharp knife
and chop forcefully with a conviction you may be lacking.  First, cut the
forelegs from the trunk.  Then sever the hind legs at the hip and knee. Cut
the body length-wise, sparating the rib cae from the saddle int 3 pieces.
Chop off and discard the bony hem of the rib pieces.  Cut the loin and rib
sections crosswise into 3 pieces. Reserve the heart and liver, if you like,
for another use.

2. In a bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients through the ginger.  Add
the rabbit and toss well.  Cover and marinate for several hours at room
temperature; or, for best flavor, refrigerate overnight.  Let come to room
temperature before searing.

3. Combine the aromatics in a small dish; cover until ready to use.

4. Combine all of the sauce ingredients through the soy sauce in a bowl  Stir
to blend, leaving the spoon in the bowl.

5. Heat a wok or large heavy skillet until hot enough to evaporate a bead of
water on contact. Add 1.5 Tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat the pan.  When
the oil is nearly smoking, add the rabbit 4 or 5 pieces at a time, without
crowding, and brown evenly until deep gold, about 2 minutes on each side.  The
rabbit will still be raw in the middle.  Remove the seared rabbit to a plate
lined with paper towels. Wipe the pan clean, add more oil and sear the
remaining pieces.

All the above, including the vegetable cutting, may be done a full day ahead.
Seal and refrigerate the ingredients; let come to room temperature before
cooking.  (hmmmm-I don't know about half cooking meat and refrigerating it.
And all this let come to room temperature business sounds risky to me-some
fool might let it sit out for ours in much too warm a room.  Use your judgement-Bonne)

6. About 30 minutes before serving, heat a wok or large heavy casserol over
high heat until hot enough to evaporate a bead of water on contact.  Add 1.5
tablespoons of the oil and swirl to glaze the pan.  When the oil is hot enough
to sizzle a scallion ring on contact, turn the heat down to moderate.  Add the
aromatics and stir gently until full fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds, adjusting the
heat so they foam without browning.  Add the carrot and toss for 1 minute.
Add the onion and celery and toss for 2 minutes more.  Adjust the heat to
maintain a merry sizzle and drizzle a bit more oil down the side of the pan if
needed to prevent sticking.  Add the rabbit leg pieces and toss to combine.
Stir the sauce and add it to the pan.  Add the lemongrass, burying it under
the liquid and the rabbit. Bring the sauce to a weak simmer.

7. Adjust the heat to prevent boiling, cover the pot, and gently simmer the
stew for 5 minutes.  Add the loin and rib pieces, stir to combine, then
replace the cover and simmmer for 10 minutes more.  Check the thickest piece
of rabbit to see that it is cooked through.  Discard the lemongrass.

8. Serve promptly in individual heated bowls of contrasting color.  Garnish
with the scallion rings.

Bonne