SC - OT: pigments

D. Clay-Disparti Clay at talstar.com
Fri Feb 12 07:19:54 PST 1999

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> You know, guys, when we do a challenge and post our own variations, we
> may be learning something about the medieval cooks' reactions to seeing
> these books, if they did, or hearing a visiting cook describe a master's
> favorite, etc.

I believe a cook's reaction to the competition's work is enough a part
of human nature to be portrayed pretty commonly in classical and period
fictional sources. See Terence, Plautus, and, I believe, Chaucer
(although I'm not up in any detailed sense on that late period stuff).

Mostly they seem to portray cooks as decrying the habit of _other_ cooks
of tastelessly murdering good food with powerful sauces and such.

It would not surprise me in the least to hear the medieval adage "God
sends us good meat, and the Devil sends cooks," was probably first
stated by a cook...;  )

Of course, the reactions we have to a given redaction may have nothing
to do with a comparable period situation, except perhaps superficially.
[Chiquart to Taillevent: "You call THAT a tourte parmerienne, old
man???"]

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --