SC - Re: SC OT-OOP Trex

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Feb 13 07:56:07 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: snowfire at mail.snet.net <snowfire at mail.snet.net>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 13. febrúar 1999 03:10
Subject: SC - Re: SC OT-OOP Trex

>Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>
>
>I wonder if Crisco's similar to "Trex"?  As I don't have any "Trex" here, I
>can't compare ingredient lists (sorry).  Lucretzia - do you have any handy?
>
>It sounds as though you'd use it in the same way as Crisco (except it's
solid
>so the bit about adding water etc doesn't come in).
>
>It's sold in Britain.  I'm not sure about Sweden or other adjacent
countries
>though, Nanna?

Never even heard of it. Crisco is sold here in a few shops but mostly used
for frying; I don´t think there is a single Icelandic cookbook that has a
recipe which includes Crisco; I´ve seen it mentioned a couple of times in
translated recipes in magazines. But we don´t use it much. The fats used
here for cooking are butter, oils, margarine, tallow, and occasionally lard.
Rendered horse fat was frequently used for deep-frying formerly but you
don´t see much of it now.

Nanna