SC - Another Pea Recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Feb 13 14:25:13 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/13/99 1:53:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, THLRenata at aol.com
writes:

<< These look like fresh shelled peas to me. How much is half a peck?  And did
 the term "sweet butter" refer to unsalted butter as it does today?

 Renata >>

I think the term refers to the butter which was made from sweet cream insread
of letting it ferment over night. This type of butter is what is available in
most localities today and is, as you pointed out labeled as 'sweet butter ior
sweet creamery butter. However, sweet butter comes both salted and unsalted in
my area.

So far as the pea recipe in concerned I think that I said at one point that
there was aremote possibility that peas may have been used this way in early
modern cookery in isolated areas such as northern Italy . Apparently it was
done so also in England. My contention is still, based on the evidence we
have, that peas were not so treated in France until at least 1681 C.E. I also
still stand by my opinion that they were apparently not used in this manner
during the Middle Ages.

Ras