SC - OT-OOP Trex

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 04:25:43 PST 1999

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> hi all from Anne-Marie

> Interestingly we have some severe asthmatics in our camp who are deathly
> allergic to cigarette smoke, chemicals, etc and they dont seem to complain
> about the fire. We also use a lot of charcoal to cook on (just like
> medieval people), which helps cut the smoke down.

Quite. I have a small charcoal grill (Pyromid) that I use occasionally,
and it is ok for the short periods to grill kabobs, for instance (I would
commit unseemly acts for grilled lamb, with lots of garlic!). And a
charcoal fired brazier is usually ok for short periods. But Gen-U-ine wood
fire, especially if there's any alder or birch... fugeddaboutit. Also
problem is the increasing use of incense, particularly on merchants row.
But then cold air sets me off too, if I get a snootfull (I don't go
anywhere without my kit. And now with the addition of the newest fashion
accesory, a cane, I ought to be quite a picture this tourney season.) Like
I said, for any number of reasons, I'd be dead by now. Doesn't mean I
can't stand over my stove (with the happy little oven on top) in the
orange houppelande with the sleeves I cut deliberately to stay out of the
way, and stir a pottage or bake a custarde in a cofyn, and taste it and
wonder if this is what it might have tasted like to someone tasting it in
1399. And in the long run, isn't that what we're all about?

'Lainie
(who is feeling smug because she finished grading papers _before_ they
were due!)
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731