SC - Diabetes

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Thu Feb 18 16:22:04 PST 1999

I've just recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and am curious about
this disease in the Middle Ages, and how it was treated then. Does
anyone know if diabetes was known in the Middle ages, in one form or
another? What did physicians recommend? And had they made the connection
between food and the illness?

My roommate tells me that certain South American tribes knew of diabetes
and also how to treat it. They determined the illness by tastimg the
sick one's urine. If sweet, then diabetes was present. Knowing how much
Medieval physicains relied on examining their patient's urine, I can't
help but wonder if perhaps the same kind of evaluation may have been
done?

Thanks!
Huen
- --