SC - pepper

Fri Feb 19 06:25:07 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

Where does pepper come from? And is it period?

The reason I ask is because since soming to this country when the word "pepper"
(unspecified) is called for in a recipe or to season a dish, it seems black pepper
is used mostly. (New fashion? or not).

Yet in Wales and everywhere in Britain I've been, "pepper" always meant white
pepper.

These days, of course, black pepper is used too, but tradionally it's always been
white.

What does that do for period recipes?  Is there no appreciable difference except
beng able to see the pepper if it's black?  Or for authenticity should you always
use white then?

Elysant