SC - German cookbook list

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Fri Feb 19 07:33:46 PST 1999

Black pepper (Piper nigrum) is of Javanese origin.  It originally appears to
have been imported into Europe by Romans trading in Egypt and the Levant.
The trade continued after the fall of Rome and made pepper one of the major
spices of medieval times.

Black pepper is the entire fruit.  White pepper is the fruit with the dark
outer hull removed.  I've found no date for the initial use of white pepper,
but, IIRC, I have seen a late period recipe which calls for it.  For
authenticity, black pepper is probably the best call.  The difference
between white and black pepper is that white pepper has a milder taste

The genus Piper also contains cubeb, betel, and kava.

Bear