OT Re: SC - Weslerin research

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sun Feb 21 11:17:13 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/21/99 10:11:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
>
> << "The Horizon Cookbook reproduced an ancient Egyptian painting which was
>  alleged to depict slaves harvesting okra from trellises, but if the fruits
>  shown were supposed to be okra, the Egyptians were very inaccurate painters.
> >>

> I would be most interested in this picture. Would it be possible for you to
> scan it and send it to me? Almost all known sources that I have access to
> place the Egyptians usihng okra. Thanks in advance. If you can sacn the photo
> you may send it to me privately as I have already intructed my server to let
> 'attached' files pass through under your addy. I also can tstrip out info sent
> as a condensed graphic file  within text with Stuffit (MAC files) or WinZip..
>
> Ras

Whoa. Hold it a second. I wasn't sure whether Bear's quotation about the
Egyptian painting, etc., was from Root's "Food". Having had a chance to
go and look at said source, I see Root does say this in his entry on
okra. I'm not quite sure why, though. After a look at "The Horizon
Cookbook", I see there is indeed an illustration such as Root describes,
but it is uncaptioned, and opposite a section of text that makes no
mention of okra.

The plant being harvested from in the picture is pretty clearly meant to
depict grape vines on an arbor...possibly Root was using a different
edition of "The Horizon Cookbook", one with some kind of misprint. My
usual interpretation of the many such anomalies in Root's work is much
less charitable, but this is a family list ;  ).

G. Tacitus
(If-Looks-Like-A-Grape-And-Is-Harvested-Like-A-Grape-In-A-Grape-Growing-Country-It-Probably-Is-A-Grape-Not-Okra) Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com