SC - Check out Mid-Evil Recipes

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 11:47:36 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/21/99 1:15:28 AM EST, troy at asan.com writes:

<< I think local economies evolve according to conditions and needs, and
 the changes reflect changed needs, both of the private citizen and the
 public as a whole, and no change is only for the worse. Home milk
 delivery (purely as an example) began to go out because the demand began
 to decrease; the late 1950's and early 1960's saw the rise of the
 supermarket as we know it, and you can be sure that if enough people
 thought home milk delivery was important enough to their lives, the
 small local dairies wouldn't have been driven out of business. Sometimes
 honest virtue isn't enough, more's the pit >>

Home delivery is making a comeback, in fact beyond peapod and the variety of
online grocers, there is a delivery service in test, I think on the east
coast, that will not only purchase your groceries, but also does dry cleaning
and I think package delivery.  With consumers becoming more time pressed, the
additional cost of these services are easily justified by the cost savings in
terms of time freed up.  Personally, I love to shop and would hate to have all
my groceries delivered...however, dry cleaning on the other hand...

In regard to the decline of local dairies, the regional nature of the dairy
business made them easy targets for the larger, more financially aggressive
ones like Dean, Suiza and Southern Foods.  In fact the merger and acquisitions
in dairy parallel the M&A activity in supermarkets, who were also very
regional in nature.

Ethelwulf