SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Feb 23 17:48:31 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>>  I attempted to make this sauce for a recent event.  However, it didn't
>>  turn blue - it stayed a blood-red colour. It also didn't set.

>I don't know, but did you use "store'bought" blackberries, or home grown ones?
>I know that when home grown "Himalaya" blackberries are ripe, they stain
>everything they touch with a deep midnight blue stain that is impossible to
>remove.

>Truly ripe blackberries are very mushy, not at all firm.  They do not ship
>well at all, therefore commercial varieties have been bred to be sold in an
>unripe state.  Like most "improvements" in comestibles, this removes all taste
>from the product.

I would imagine if anything that wild blackberries would have been used in this
recipe?

We had blackberries that grew wild around and about where I lived in Wales, and
we used to go "blackberry pickin'" each September.  The bushes belonged to
no-one, usually being on common ground.

The juice that's obtained is a deep purplish colour, not really blue or red.
I'm wondering too then if the blue came from something else not blackberries?
Or is Cerulean Blue really perhaps a purplish colour?

Elysant