SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 24 03:48:47 PST 1999

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > Cerulean is a sky-blue last I knew.
> This is kind of interesting. The original Italian recipe uses the
> adjective "celeste" to describe the color, which, yes, would indicate
> the heavens or the sky. But are we talking day or night here? I ask because...

Oo. Hadn't thought of that. I usually think of the night sky as black
(maybe the latent vampire in me) but at dusk and early dawn it _is_ dark
blue, isn't it. However, the Cerulean Blue that comes in a tube at
prohibitive prices from Windsor and Newton is the lighter daytime shade.
Slight green/turquoise cast to it.

> ...because the blanched almonds would seem to lighten the shade
> somewhat. You'd want to use somewhat more of them because this mixture
> seems to be uncooked.

I dunno there- seems to me the color value is still pretty deep. Hmm.

> > Besides, I don't eat blue
> > food.
> Um, forgive me for asking, but are you serious?

Nothing to forgive. Foods we think of as 'blue', such as blueberries, are
really deep purple (it's that sorta dusty cast on blueberries that makes
them look blue). I can't think of anything (top o' my head) that is truly
a natural blue. I'm currently fighting some serious health problems (I
don't carry a cane just because it looks cool) and I'm trying to eliminate
as many additives as possible- coloring agents were the first to go. And
the fact that stuff colored blue tends to be junk food (Gatorade, M&M's
and other candies, etc) also means I won't be eating it.
	Besides, M*M's were never meant to be blue. It's a sacrilege. :-)

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731