SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 08:18:30 PST 1999

In a message someone wrote:

<< +e >>

This symbol along with many other creative variations is occasionally used by
people on this list when to designate the Thorn.

I fail to see why we go out of our way to confuse a reading by inserting new
symbols for other symbaols. It the thorn is pronounced as a 'th' then why
don't we write something like th or (th)? Using symbols serves no real useful
purpose and can cause a lot more problems than whatever it is that is trying
to be corrected by using obscure symbols especially for those new to period
cooking.

Keeping this in mind I will be using (th) for a Thorn  and (s) for the
elongated s symbol or other letter equivalents in brackets as necessary unless
someone can convince me that I should not for reasons which are meaningful
(i.e. because a Thorn is a Thorn is not a meaningful reason, IMO).

Ras