SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 08:47:13 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/24/99 12:48:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, Devra at aol.com
writes:

<< Perhaps more relevant to trying the recipe is the question of where you can
 obtain sloes or whortleberries in these United States?

Why would this be more relevant? We haven't determined that these substitions
are acceptable. Someone guessed they might be but a guess is not a fact. Has
anyone looked up the Italian word yet? Blackberries appear to work here if the
correct variety is used and the addition of almond milk , as pointed out by
someone else, would certainly lighten the blue color.

The failure of a single experiment with a recipe doesn't justify substitutions
of other things when such substitution has not been clearly shown to be
accurate. Given that another berry MAY have been meant, until someone
translated the original Italian, a far better course of action would be to
retry the recipe using appropriate ingredients. A quick experiment with frozen
wild blackberries this AM produced a dish that was definately blue. The color
may have been a little outside what is normally thought of as Cerulean blue in
modern eyes, it most definitely was not red. I think that had I used of a
thicker almond milk would lighten the color even more than it did. OTH, who
knows what shade of blue may have had the term 'Cerulean' attached to it in
period?

Just a thought or two.

Ras