SC - 13th C image of baker

Donna Hrynkiw donna at kwantlen.bc.ca
Wed Feb 24 15:41:22 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/24/99 3:57:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

<< but I used
 olive oil as I had it handy - does everybody else get thru as much of it
 as I do? >>

I use a fair amount of olive oil but my major budget breaker is the amount of
lard I use...I never fry without it unless the recipe specifically calls for
oil. Substitution of oil for lard causes a drastic taste difference and the
finished texture of food fried in oil is much different. :-) Then again I
don't substitute margarine for butter either for the same reasons or generic
vegetable oil for olive oil for that matter.

I know many people who do make those substitutions and the resulting product
is apparently quite exceptable to both them and their guests The secret is to
use whatever you are comfortable with and as you correctly noted, make people
aware of your substitutions if any and why you chose to substitute. At the
very least, such a dish could be reasonably listed as 'period-like' on a feast
menu.

Ras