SC - Goblet covers?

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Fri Feb 26 08:52:19 PST 1999

On 2/25/99 7:44 AM you wrote:

>From:	TerryD at Health.State.OK.US (Decker, Terry D.)

>> Every period recipe I can find at the moment (2 15th, Miscellany, etc.)
>> says wheat for Frumenty.
>>
>> But I -think- I've seen one slightly vague reference to barley here, and
>> my lord has an ancient recipe in his files that calls for barley (ancient
>> means he copied it from a source that left with a former girlfriend, 8-)).
>>
>> Can anyone quote me a period reference for barley, please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chimene & Gerek
>>
>,,,
>
>Frumenty and polenta both mean cooked grain.  Cooked grains are common from
>Antiquity to the Present.  I suspect the reason that wheat is the common
>grain in frumenty is that wheat has the lowest yield per acre of any of the
>cereals and is therefore the most expensive of grains, making it the most
>appropriate for a noble's table.
>
>Bear

Thanks Bear... I agree completely with your idea about why-wheat, but I
can see from your answer that my last line was sloppy.  I didn't mean
"any reference for barley," but rather, " a period reference for barley
in a 15thC grain- almond milk- sugar & saffron & egg yolks type
frumenty", as goes with venison or "porpayss"

Any luck now?

Thanks again,
Chimene