SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Feb 26 19:26:50 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Alderton, Philippa <phlip at morganco.net>
To: SCA Cooks <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 27. febrúar 1999 00:48
Subject: SC - Melons.

>Anybody know if there were any melons available in Italy, about 15th to
16th
>centuries? If so, what sort? Am thinking there might have been some
>available fron Spain.

As far as I know, melons were rather popular in Italy by the 15th century -
they seem to have disappeared for some time but there is speculation they
were brought back by the Crusaders. Platina has an entry on melons and
suggests it should be eaten at the beginning of the meal, followed by a
drink of good wine. Cantaloups reached Italy from Armeina sometime in the
15th century and were first cultivated in the papal gardens at Cantalupo
near Rome. Watermelons were also available; not sure about other types.

Nanna