SC - goblet covers

Christina van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sat Feb 27 09:36:10 PST 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> To my knowledge, raspberries and blackberries, being closely related have
> the cone structure you describe for the stem.  The fruits have well rounded
> drupelets.  However, there are a large number of hybrids.  I haven't seen
> any blackberries such as you describe, but they are breeding thornless
> brambles, so why not a larger fruit with less stem wastage.  If you find out
> more, please let me know.

I'll see what I can find out, but what are sold around here as
blackberries clearly are not raspberries; as I say they are more like
large tart mulberries. Yes, they have little seed cells like a
raspberry, but they have none of the little hairs, and when you pick
them they have a little stem sticking out of them like a mulberry.

Well, lest we beat a dead blackberry, I'll see if maybe I can find
something like a picture in a seed catalogue or something, giving
species name.

> The species of Rubus which we call blackberries do not appear to have any
> European counterparts.

Here we go again ;  )  ! What "we" do you mean? As I have said, if you
go to a farmer's market or the produce department of a good supermarket
and ask the man for blackberries, at least here where I live, what you
will get are rather different from raspberries. Whether they differ
greatly from what Martino envisions I couldn't say.

> Several sources say Rubus ideaus, which is
> definitely a red raspberry, is the only native, berrying species of Rubus in
> Europe.  If this is the case, then what the author of the recipe is calling
> a blackberry is not what we call a blackberry.  There is a large probability
> these statements are correct, and we do not know what black berry the author
> of the recipe is calling a blackberry.

Well, I agree in part. It's news to me that what we call a blackberry is
likely to be part of the genus Rubus.

> The one drawback to these comments about genus Rubus is a taxonomic
> description of Rubus caesius (dewberry) from Finland in 1972.  The plant was
> found growing wild and created a botanical puzzle.  From the little I could
> find, no decision has been made as to whether it represents an imported or a
> native, but previously unreported, species.
>
> The comment about black currants is purely speculative and whimsical.  If
> raisins of Corinth (genus Vitis) were currants, what did they call currants
> (genus Ribes)?

Berries?

I'll see what I can find out about these mysterious Yankee blackberries
of mine.

In the mean time, I'm tired. Let's all talk about cuskynoles.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com