SC - Melons.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sat Feb 27 12:43:30 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/27/99 7:33:37 PM !!!First Boot!!!, 2maples at dnaco.net
writes:

<< For some reason, many states in the U.S. prohibit the importation of
 blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries. I'm still trying to find out why
 can't order a blackcurrant plant from a nursery in Washington State and have
them
 send it to me in Ohio. The Dept. of Agriculture extension office has promised
 find out why for me but I haven't heard anything yet.

My lady until very recently current bushes were not allowed to be shipped or
grown because they carry a blight that destroys white pine forest I believe
its is called white pine blister and is an insect that starts life in the
current bush but proceeds to the pine. Since white pine is a valuable timber,
quick growing and is versatile current bushes were forbidden even to uprooting
them in forest areas. However they seem to have developed a strain of current
bushes that does not harbor the insect or blight so they are allowing bushes
to be sold limitedly. Please check in state nurseries or your local
agricultural extension service.
in service
               Joram who sorely misses currents and homemade current jam