SC - meat and seafood marinades

Helen him at gte.net
Sat Feb 27 15:58:26 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>1. English cookery of the period calls for a lot of dried Mediterranean
>fruit, such as plums, figs, dates and raisins, as well as raisins of
>Corinth. None of these are local items, and they are there both for the
>romance of their imported status and also for their sweetness, something
>the English seemed to prize more than the French, the Italians, and the Germans.

We still do this with chocolates (candy).  Descriptions of each filling are usually
written under a picture of the particular chocolate - on a card placed inside the
box.  Cadbury's Milk Tray does it.  The descriptions are always lavish and mention
ingredients from exotic places.

>ever see the Python
>routine about the self-defense against fresh fruit course? John Cleese,
>as the instructor, uses the term "red currant" and "raspberry"
>interchangably, having his students charge at him with deadly
>raspberries, using a Bengal tiger, as I recall, to defend himself. He
>says the great advantage of the tiger in unarmed combat is that 'e eats
>not only the fruit-laden foe, but also the red currants.

I don't know why I don't remember that one...
Elysant