SC - Re: Melons 14th Cen

Ian Gourdon agincort at raex.com
Sat Feb 27 14:13:50 PST 1999

Tyrca gave some good directions on using special characters in Windows:

> If you are working in Windows, it is really easy.  From the Start
> menu, go to Accessories, and Character Map (or Win 98, Accessories,
> System Tools, Character Map.)  There you will get a chart of all the
> characters your font carries, including the thorn among others.  Just
> select the letter, copy it, and go back to your writing, and paste it
> in.  Not at all complicated.  And fun to use åll ßørtS of £Œttærs (my
> apoligies to those readers who see these letters as something
> different than I do, I just like the looks of them.)[yes, I know.
> Another example of Stupid American Tricks!]

Please don't do this with list messages. Some of us have other machines,
such as Macs, and while they can also create these characters even
easier, these characters do not always cross the internet well. For
instance the phrase you used above is garbage to me. Also, it appears
to me that the software that creates the digest version of this list
has a particularly hard time with these special characters. For
instance, I have received messages on this list with recipes that
use special fraction characters and what I see is an underline
or other garbage instead of the fractions. While I have sometimes
written the original message writer and gotten the correct values,
it would be nice not to have bother them again.

Translation of character sets is better than it was several years
ago, but alas it still has lots of problems.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****