SC - EK: Lost Bottle

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sun Feb 28 18:31:15 PST 1999

Gerekr at aol.com wrote:

> And while you can produce walnut oil for cooking from them, I don't think
> you'd have much luck trying to make "walnut milk" for use in meatless
> contexts (fast days, Lent, etc.)
>
> Chimene

I don't recall exactly where I saw this, but I recently saw a recipe
(European, and period, I believe) that suggested exactly that. I believe
the walnuts were blanched and "peeled" first. I have also seen it done
with hazelnuts.

Both of these are more or less local products, of course. I'm not sure
why almonds were so important, if not for the status imparted by
importation.

Yes, the Romans did bring almond trees to Britain, but I don't believe
any significant almond crop is recorded in Britain in period, and I
believe there are records indicating massive importation from the East.
Blights and climate shifts might be factors, too.

Of course, the Romans also brought grape vines to Britain, and while
they did produce some wine there for a while, it doesn't seem to have
made enough of a dent in the demand in period to make importing
unnecessary. It may be the same with almonds.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com