SC - Quantities of salt and spices used.

Mon Feb 1 06:34:09 PST 1999

> I do agree that
> measurements are very rare and that the measurements were never metric (I
> think the metric system came into being in the late 1700's or early
> 1800's). I remember (likely to be faulty) that the measurments given as
> those I mentioned before, but they were most likely imperial rather than
> metric. Having never done any period cookery before we felt that it was
> better (especially due to time constraints) to follow the recipe than wing
> it. At least it serves as a point of reference from which to experiment.

Metric measures were developed by a committee of the Paris Academy of
Sciences in 1790.  They were adopted and fixed by the French National
Assembly in 1799 and were implemented across most of Europe in 1801.

British Imperial measure was established in 1826.

Medieval British measurement was based on the Troy or apothecary system, the
wine gallon (same wet measure as currently used in the United States, and
the Winchester and London bushels for dry measurement.

> Maidiu Ruadh

Bear