SC - Toasting salamander.

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Mon Feb 1 12:24:44 PST 1999

> There are descriptions of cheese being toasted in England and Wales, as
> I recall, in late or early-post-period (perhaps Harrison's "Description
> of England"???) and the process generally involves roasting the cheese
> on an inclined board propped up near the fire: when the butterfat leaked
> out enough to cause the cheese slice to begin to slide down the board,
> by which time it was also brown and bubbly, it was quickly transferred
> onto buttered (and sometimes mustarded) toast. I believe I've seen this
> in Wilson's "Food and Drink in Britain".

In "The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages," Terence Scully gives this
recipe from The Neapolitan Collection ( MS Buhler 19 in the Pierpont
Morgan Library):

"Crostata de caso, pane, etc. Crusty Cheese, Bread, etc.
Get bread, remove the crust, slice it thin and toast it on the fire to
colour it, then coat the slices with fresh butter and put sugar and
cinnamon on top, then slices of creamy cheese, then sugar and cinnamon;
then put the slices in a tort pan on the coals with its lid on and coals
on top; when the cheese has melted, serve it quickly."

A quick glance through Scully didn't reveal a date for the Neapolitan
Collection, but it appears to be late Medieval Italian. Perhaps someone
else could help in dating this MS?

Huen
- --
A Boke of Gode Cookery