SC - Royal declared chocolate period

Mon Feb 1 17:27:49 PST 1999

> TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
>
> > The existence of the roasting pans says someone used
> >  coffee in Persia at this time, it does not indicate general use.
>
> Hmmm, again, how is it known WHAT was roasted in these pans?  Is it
> possible
> that they are identical to pans used to roast coffee in later eras, so it
> is
> assumed coffee was roasted in the older version as well?  Isn't it at
> least
> possible that a pan used for something other than coffee worked so well
> that
> it was adapted for coffee use when coffee showed up?
>
> Mordonna

If coffee wasn't roasted in them, what was -- peanuts?  I'm accepting Ukers
statement that they are coffee roasting pans until presented with better
evidence.

Coffee could be made with a mortar and pestle and a couple small pans.
Proving that they were used for making coffee is next to impossible.  The
roasting pans, on the other hand, are fairly unique items.  Crude ones
appear early in the 15th Century and become more elaborate over time.  In
the 16th Century ibriks, Turkish coffee makers, begin to appear with the
roasters, and the whole thing begins to look like a yuppie fad.  The timing
and the connections are such to reinforce the idea they are coffee roasters
from the start.

If they were not coffee roasters originally, what was roasted on them?  Why
did they stop roasting X and switch to coffee?  Why aren't they still
roasting X?

Bear