SC - trencher history guesses

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Feb 2 07:30:31 PST 1999

>> day.<<

<snip>

>If I weren't eating much of anything else, I can put away two pounds of
>bread a day easily.  It's the gallon of beer that would do me in.
>
>Bear

Hello!  Wasn't this 2 pounds of bread per day plus a gallon of beer part of
a workman's *wages*, and therefore expected to be taken home & shared with
his family?  Also, was not the beer more than likely small beer?

Also, trenchers & sops were different things. Sops were slivers of bread
cut specifically to dunk in the sauce/wine, etc. - a fresh one for each
dunking.

BTW, Henisch, "Fast and Feast", has a lengthy passage on bread (customs,
types, service, cutting trenchers, etc.).

Cindy