SC - Period Sausages

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 2 17:00:04 PST 1999

At 7:43 AM -0500 1/15/99, Margo Farnsworth wrote:
> Does anyone know of a source for period  sausage recipies?  I have
>searched through my books >and have found  none.  Also, the sausage
>recipies I have found on the internet either do  not have >dates or do not
>refer to documentation.  I am helping with a  Scottish feast next month,
>and we >are going to make haggis and oxford sausages,  unless I can find
>more authentic items to make.  >Any help would be greatly  appreciated.
>Faoiltighearna

Le Menagier de Paris (late 14th c. French) has both black pudding and
sausage recipes; here are the sausage recipes, from Janet Hinson's
translation. Also, there is a period recipe for haggis in _Two Fifteenth
Century Cookery Books_ which I have typed in here before; it is probably in
Setfan's Florigium.

To make chitterling sausages. Note that chitterling sausages are made with
the lower gut and other large guts, the large ones are filled with the
others to make regular sausages; and those small guts, when you want to
make them into chitterling sausages, are split into four parts. Item, of
the bits which are split into narrow slices, make them into chitterling
sausages; item, of the meat beneath the ribs; item faggots and other things
told above of guts for black puddings. And the other things told above, of
the said lower gut and others with which chitterling sausages must be
filled, will be first immersed and sprinkled with half an ounce of pepper,
and with a sixth of (turnip-tops? withered- flowers? hay?), ground with a
little salt and dampened, all ground small, with the spices; and when these
chitterling sausages are thus done and filled, you take them to be salted
with the bacon and on top of the bacon.

SUMMER CHITTERLING SAUSAGES.  Take the pluck of a lamb or kid and remove
the membrane, and the remainder cook in water with a little salt: and when
it is cooked, chop it very fine or grind it, then have six egg-yolks and
powdered spices, a tablespoon of silver, and beat it all together in a
bowl; then add and mix in your pluck with your egg-yolks and spices, then
spread it all on the caul or membrane, and roll up in the manner of
sausages, then bind slackly with thread longways, and then close-set
crossways; and then roast on the grill, then remove the thread and serve.
Or thus: make balls of it, that is of the membrane itself, and fry these
balls in sweet pork fat.

To Make Sausages. When you have killed your pig, take some chops, first
from the part they call the filet, and then take some chops from the other
side and some of the best fat, as much of the one as of the other, enough
to make as many sausages as you need; and have it finely chopped and ground
by a pastry-cook. Then grind fennel and a little fine salt, and then take
your ground fennel, and mix thoroughly with a quart of powdered spices;
then mix your meat, your spices and your fennel thoroughly together, and
then fill the guts, that is to say, the small gut. (And know that the guts
of an old porker are better for this purpose than those of a young pig,
because they are larger.) And after this, smoke them for four days or more,
and when you want to eat them, put them in hot water and bring just to
boiling, and then put on the grill.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook (about two weeks behind the list)