SC - Nerve Bisquits??? I can't find them in the _Physica_

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 5 19:59:34 PST 1999

My copy of the Physica of Hildegard von Bingen arrived form Amazon.com. It
is an interesting book, but I cannot find anything so far that looks at all
like the "Nerve Bisquits" recipe that was posted. None of the index entries
under sugar, and none of the pages that have entries for both nutmeg and
cinnamon, is even close.

There is, under the entry for cumin, an interesting recipe, however:

One who suffers nausea should pulverise cumin with a third as much pepper
and a quarter as much pimpernel. He should mix this powder with pure wheat
flour, and make cookies, with egg yolk and a little water, either in a hot
oven or under hot ashes. He should eat these cookies, as well as the cumin
powder on bread, and it will suppress the hot and cold humors in his
intestines, which cause his nausea. (pp. 19-20).

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com