SC - Tansy (again)

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Feb 9 11:09:30 PST 1999

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 02:46:26 -0600 LYN M PARKINSON <allilyn at juno.com>
writes:
>I bought some tansy at an amish grocery store.  It's dried, and
>certainly looks like the leaves.
>
>The plant is an ant repellent?  It crowds out weeds?  Where did you
>get the seeds?
>

>Regards,
>
>Allison

It was labeled as ant repellent when I got the starter plants from one of
my local nurseries; I've had mixed results with keeping the ants out of
the kitchen, sometimes it does, last summer it didn't (but then agian
last summer was _very_ buggy). As for crowding out weeds, well most
farmers consider tansy to be a weed itself, in that it grows a bit like
mint (in other words, I planted it in a thin strip of ground between the
house and a sidewalk to avoid it taking over the yard.) and that cows who
eat it wholesale tend to abort their calves. If you're planning on
planting some, please note that this is a very tall, leggy plant which
has a smell which you may or may not like if you brush up against it. ( I
kinda of like it, it smells kind of musky to me YMMV)

Beatrix
Oakheart, Calontir
Springfield, MO